Deputy District Attorney John Mehlig was reportedly arrested for driving while intoxicated (DUI) this past Sunday after he had crashed his vehicle into a pole. According to the preliminary police report, while there was a substantial amount of property damage caused by this accident, no one was injured in it. Officials overseeing this case have not released details regarding:
- Whether Mehlig submitted to or refused a voluntary field sobriety test
- Whether he submitted to a breathalyzer or blood test at the scene
- Whether he admitted to drinking alcohol to officers who responded to the accident
- What his reported blood alcohol level was at the time of the accident (though, if he submitted to a blood test, it could be days or even weeks before these results become available).
Unfortunately, once DUI charges are officially filed against Mehlig, he will have to defend himself in two cases – in a criminal case in court (the likes of which he has probably served as a prosecutor on before) and an administrative case at the DMV to try to protect his driving privileges.
DUI Defense Strategies
Although there are still many unknowns in this DUI case, some DUI defense strategies that may be effective in Mehlig’s defense could include (but are not limited to) arguing that:
- The results of the blood or breath tests were inaccurate because, for example, the tests were not properly administered, the breath or blood samples were contaminated, etc.
- Alleged signs of intoxication – such as red, watery eyes or disorientation – could be related to a medical condition that Mehlig has (such as allergies).
- Police failed to read Mehlig his rights prior to arresting him.
- Police otherwise failed to follow proper legal procedures when investigating this DUI case.
Denver Criminal Defense Lawyers
The authorities take allegations of DUIs, particularly when they have allegedly been committed by individuals who have a criminal record or when they involve victims, extremely seriously, and these charges – even if a person is ultimately acquitted of them – can have a devastating impact on a person’s personal and professional life. If you or a loved one has been accused of DUI or of any felony or misdemeanor crime in Denver, you will need an experienced defense attorney who is dedicated to defending your rights.
At the Law Office of Andres R. Guevara, our skilled Denver criminal defense lawyers are committed to providing the accused with the best possible defense and to working tirelessly to helping them resolve their case as favorably as possible. As soon as you start working with our trusted criminal defense lawyers, we will begin investigating your case, interviewing witnesses and compiling evidence to support your defense.
We will also work diligently to get the prosecution’s evidence against you thrown out of court and, whenever possible, to get the charges against you reduced or potentially even dismissed entirely. To learn more about your legal rights and receive expert advice on how to proceed with your case, contact us at (720) 379-8262.